Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sharing the love...

I guess I just needed some "comfort food!" I've always tried to make sugar cookies around Valentine's Day. Here are some that I tried yesterday. I made several sizes of heart shapes, but the pictures here are only the tiny ones that I put a stick inside for a "lollipop" cookie. Alain has several students who are homesick and so we thought we would take some of these around to them tonight. The others will go to Home Teaching Families and four plates went out the door this morning as I went Visiting Teaching. (And believe me, I tasted several of them for quality control purposes!) :) Here is the recipe that I used. I loved it because you just make and bake! Some recipes that I have used in the past, needed to be chilled in the refrigerator overnight or for a few hours... Donna's Soft Comfort Cookies 3 1/4 c. all purpose flour 1 t. baking soda 1/2 t. baking powder 1/2 t. salt 1/2 c. butter, room temperature (I just put a cold square of butter in the microwave for 20 seconds...) 1 c. granulated sugar 1 egg 1 1/4 t. vanilla 1/4 t. almond flavoring 1/2 c. sour cream Into a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg, vanilla & almond flavoring. Add sour cream and then add 1 cup of the flour mixture and blend, adding the rest of the flour a cup at a time. (You may have to use a wooden spoon for the last little bit) Divide dough in half and roll each portion out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place cookies onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. (This is the tricky part... don't over bake! You want them just done and no more). Frosting 3 c. powdered sugar 1/2 c. butter (softened) 1 t. vanilla 1/2 t. almond flavoring (my secret!) 2 T. milk (add and stir the milk a little at a time to get just the right consistency...not too thick and not too runny!) Enjoy!

3 comments:

JessandKeriHatcher said...

Could you be any cuter? Such a darling idea making them into lollipops.

jamie t. said...

Mom, that is the best sugar cookie recipe I have ever tasted! I can't wait to finish mine. I'll be sure to post when I am done!

Michelle and Judson said...

Mom, I wish I had your superb creativity, your too cute.. next year next year. we have to do something like that with the nieces and nephews on the fourth of july, just have a big cookie fest in your big kitchen