Friday, February 18, 2011

and he has passed away...

Five words can change your life forever... in an instant. On Friday, February 4th, my sweetheart and best friend was killed while off road dirt biking with friends. When my Bishop rang the doorbell, and I invited he and his wife inside my home, little did I know my life would never be the same. I invited them to sit down, and he invited me to do the same. Without me having a clue, Bishop Brown softly and seriously said, "Donna, Alain's been in a motorcycle accident." I quickly thought "OK, we can go get him." He next said the five words that have been echoing in my mind for the past 14 days.... "and he has passed away." All I could repeat is, "No,..... no......no." They came and took my hands and cried with me for a very long time. Hundreds and hundreds of people came to pay their respect. The viewing and funeral were attended by so many who knew and loved Alain. Person after person shared with me how much Alain had touched, or changed or literally "saved" their lives. I knew he was a wonderful man, but I was overwhelmed by the love and support that flowed to our family. Our children are still walking around with heavy hearts, as am I... trying to understand and believe this is real. We just want him to come through the door with his big smile and big heart. All eight children,their spouses, and our ten grandchildren have been here to support me and honor their father and "Papa!" His funeral was held February 9th, at the Rexburg East Stake Center. He was given a full law enforcement funeral, to honor him for his 18 years with the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department. We were given a full police escort to the Paris, Idaho Cemetery three hours away. Oh how he loved his children! He was so proud of their accomplishments. He was so proud of their steps on becoming better people. How he loved being Papa to his grandchildren. We will all forever cherish each and every minute we were able to share with him. Alain loved his Savior, Jesus Christ...therefore he loved serving people in any way he could think of. He had a smile that could melt your heart. We love you so much Alain. We miss your warmth and sincerity. We miss your strong helping hands. We miss you more than you could ever realize. Please help our hearts to mend quickly so that we can use our time striving to become more like YOU! Truly honey,.... God be with you "till we meet again!" Alain Budge-Christmas 2010 We love you!

14 comments:

gleda said...

What Beautiful and Heartfelt thoughts of Alan, Donna. I think of you Daily. Always FOCUS on the Lord and his promises to us, that will give you strength to LIVE. The Lord has already given you wonderful children and grandchild to let you know the HE is there. The LAST pic of Alan waving on the basketball court, melted and stirred my spirit.

"But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint"

Isaiah 40:31 (NKJV)

Peace, Love, & Grace...gleda :)

Carly Woodhouse said...

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. Our hearts are so full remembering what a kind, gentle man he was and thinking of you during this time. You'll be in our prayers for a long time. It was a blessing to get to know the two of you during our short time together in CC2 Ward. We love you!

Gina woodhouse said...

Actually, that earlier comment was from me. Too many people are using these computers at home. :)

Mikan said...

I've done nothing but think of you and Alain for the past 2 weeks....I've been praying for comfort to be with you and your family. My heart was so touched looking through your blog. I wasn't able to be at the funeral so this blog has really helped me feel of the beautiful spirit that was surely there. Thank you for being such a strong mother, sister, grandma and aunt. We love you! Love, Mikan & family

Camille said...

What a beautiful post, and such touching photo's!!!! What a wonderful man he was and is!!!! I love you, Donna, and will continue to pray for you and your family!!!! You are a remarkable woman!!!

ashley said...

I have been aching for you and praying for you since I recieved a BYUI email conveying the tragic news of Alain's passing. I met Alain only once briefly but he was so kind and welcoming. I can see from your blog that there is so much happiness and love in your family. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

socal052 said...

Sister Budge,
We sometimes can't understand and don't what to realize what life may bring. Our faith has to endure the things we don't understand. My faith was strengthened by your husband. The way he served his family,church,and community. May your faith in Jesus Christ and his Gospel and know that families are forever build your faith. Brother Budge lived his belief and so must we. May Heavenly Father bless you and your family now and in the future. Love, Peter Sozio and Family

Dad Risser said...

Gina Woodhouse sent me this link and I'm so grateful she did. What a beautiful tribute to Alain, and to the legacy he leaves. I'll always remember his smile and gentle demeaner. We were all shocked, literally, to hear he had passed so suddenly, but few people are as ready to meet their savior as he is. Our heartfelt prayers are with you and your children Donna. He will truly be missed, but he is yours for eternity.

Jenna said...

We love you and are praying for you. Thanks for posting all the beautiful pictures for all of us who are so far away. My heart has ached so much lately, you are loved.

Thompson said...

Mom, how can words express how we all feel. How lucky you are that Alain was yours and will be forever. Thank you for sharing him with us. Heavenly Father knew I would need him in my life! He knows all and we must trust him now. I'm still trying to take my own advice. I'm thinking about you every minute of everyday. I hope you can feel my love.

konda said...

I love you Donna. Rex and I pray for you and your children everyday. Alain was such a wonderful man! He is so loved and was so honored at his funeral. Thank you for sharing some more memories with us on your blog. We think of him constantly.
love, Konda

megan said...

Donna, we are so sorry to hear about Alain. Just from the short time we were in the same ward he left a wonderful impression on us. Such a good, good man.
Our love to you from the Haslam family.

Donna said...

Donna you did such an AMAZING JOB! Your words are so beautifully written.
The last photo of him waving, just the right finishing touch. It is so him. He is all around you. He loves you and Heavenly Father loves you and will see you through. God bless you!

love to you always, Donna

Anne said...

Very touching. Thanks for sharing this Aunt Donna! Love you so much!