Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy first day of Spring!

A little birdie told me it was the first day of spring! My windows have been open today, birds flying around chirping, pecking at the uncovered earth. I believe it truly is a "fever" that I catch as soon as I see dirt again. A student told me that last week at the university, she saw the grounds crew shoveling the snow right off of the grass. I told her I didn't see the point, and promised her it really would melt on its own pretty soon. I do have "one" beautiful, yellow crocus exploding right outside the front door, surrounded and almost strangled by last years strawberry vines. It makes me want to sit right down and start pulling off all the dead stuff to give all the new life some space to grow. The daffodil and tulip stems are all poking their heads out a couple of inches. Oh... the promise of new life. I feel so blessed. It will be three years ago tomorrow that my mom passed away. She was here with us for about nine months and what a blessing that was for me to be able to serve her and even heal from imagined past hurts. (Definition of imagined past hurts... hurts that we felt justified having at the time...mostly teenager & immature times, when with the passing of time, life experience and reality... teach us different! Then love and appreciation replace the hurt). When my sister and I get together, we sometimes talk about growing up, about how happy we are that our parents are together, and that we hope mom is very happy now. Once again, spring also reminds me of her. In whatever spare time she had, she enjoyed being outdoors and kept our yard just immaculate and beautiful. On this first day of spring I want to pay tribute to her for all that she did to instill an appreciation of hard work and the beauty that can pay off for that effort!

2 comments:

Michelle and Judson said...

Yea for the Burg... Spring! Just make sure it keeps getting warmer before we get there! love you

Gina woodhouse said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom! She raised you well. Enjoy spring, the sun, and the warm weather when they all come together.